Search This Blog

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Looking Beyond the Sky

Several years ago I read a series of books in which the author termed personal time with God as "Looking beyond the Sky." That concept has stayed with me ever since.  Now sometimes when I am driving down the road in the hours before dawn or when I step outside during my lunch break, I find myself looking upward and calling out to Him Who lives "beyond the sky." 

It's a good visual to stick in your head because any time you need a moment of encouragement, all you have to do is look up and remember God is nearby watching us from just beyond the sky.  While some may find this disconcerting, I find it comforting.  The God of all the Universe is continually near watching over me and caring for me as His son, a joint heir with Christ.  I have eternal value to Him, in Him I find completion, and I delight in glorifying Him. This sustains peace within me and gives me consistent strength. 

So I encourage you, look upward often.  Look beyond the demanding toddlers, past the wisps of smoke coming from the oven, past the cluttered bedrooms, beyond the independence of your teenager, beyond the burdens of bills, beyond the overdue oil change or flat tire, beyond the squabble with your spouse: and join me looking beyond the sky. 

You'll find all you need in Him.