Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

"Good" Samaritan?

     A few days ago I failed to set my alarm properly which resulted in missing my early-morning ride to work.  However, on my resulting drive to work, I found out why.  As I prayed in my car, I began to wrestle with the idea of who we want in our church. 
     Our church like many others has been attended from time-to-time by people who don’t quite fit the cookie-cutter image of a “Christian” or "typical" church attendee.  Our church is attended by people from every economic station and class.  Some people might be put-off by people who seem to be of greater material or spiritual need.  I had to honestly pray this matter through with God to ensure that I was viewing people as Christ does. 
     I must confess that before this prayer session I would rather have reached doctors and lawyers and other “successful” people: a nice “white-collar church.”  However, I felt very convicted about this mentality.  Jesus Christ came to those who needed Him…to those who needed the touch of the Master Physician.  Who are we to do any less?  How can we turn away from the man, woman, or child lying by life’s roadside who has been kicked and beaten by circumstances and background, abused, and robbed of all dignity, respect, and hope?  Dare we pass by on the other side of the road? (Luke 10:25-36)
     We must pause in spite of the danger that we might be robbed ourselves, in spite of being sullied by the dirt of their lives or blood of their wounds.  We must pick them up, bandage them, and love them with abandon with no expectation of anything in return.  We must have compassion and love as Christ loves: Who died and gave Himself for us.
     And so I prayed today, “Lord, send us the people who need you!  Let our paths cross the paths of those who desperately need to know Your peace and need Your mighty power in their lives.  Let our church be a church for the disillusioned, downtrodden, and broken-hearted!  Don’t bring us people who will harden their hearts, worship other gods, or refuse to repent and be redeemed.  Send us those in need of compassion and ready for the cross.” 
     As I prayed, I wept at this idea: How many Christians and churches abort new babes in Christ?  What about the broken souls who are ready to receive the touch of Christ and instead are turned away, given the cold shoulder, referred to a program, or are lost simply because we do not have the eyes to see, ears to hear, or hearts to have compassion?  With our lives and conduct are we turning souls away from the cross or thwarting the work of the Holy Spirit in our community?  I was heavily burdened by this idea.  I do not want to be one who aborts babes in Christ!
     Instead I want to lead a crowd of “crown flingers.”  What?!  That’s right!  I want to reach heaven someday and when we gather before Him, I don’t want my crown to be the only one clattering to the ground as I prostrate myself before the throne of Christ!  I want a whole pile of crowns falling thick and fast from souls who were rescued from the burning by our church: souls who rejoice with us because we had the compassion of Christ and the stamina of the Holy Spirit to bear fruit unto the Gospel of Christ and bring newborn Christians into the Kingdom!
     This is my heartbeat…is it yours?